Tuesday 13 October 2009

Biting the hand that feeds... always a good start!

Well here we go. As a neophyte to the seemingly ever expanding world of blogs, first call of order is to express my (bordering on fervent) dislike of the 'blog'. Imagine if you will my terror when finding out I now needed to partake in this seemingly Mephistophelian exercise! Now yes, this could easily be seen as a somewhat foolish start to my 'blogging career' but if you'll excuse the cliché - time will tell.
Before I continue I will just add that I am 'free writing' of sorts and am just going to lay this rant out despite the imploring 'clicks' of the keys as I type furiously. The reasons for remarking on the fact that I am in essence currently pouring out my thoughts in an avalanche of typed words with little mental editing is firstly a little personal experiment, curious of the results... as well as secondly, while I tap the keyboard with zeal I would have to admit that I am actually enjoying, even nearly going as far to say as relishing laying these words out on the screen. Perhaps I am being converted as I type though I will still nonetheless divulge my (admittedly increasingly diminishing) issues with blogs.

When I first heard of blogs I was puzzled by what these exotic articles could possibly be... perhaps an intriguing and informative new, expansive way to view a shrinking world. Instead I was beyond disappointed when it appeared to turn out to be the inane ramblings of people apparently so infatuated by their own voices that they felt the remainder of the world too would beg to hear more of what they had to say. Not only did I find the notion of having these blogs edging towards 'profane' at one end of the imaginary scales in my head purely for the sheer extent of the self importance exhumed, but I also found the degree of ignorance utterly insufferable. At which point did people become so self involved that they felt they had to share uninteresting and pompous views on their little world? The whole concept of a blog to me seemed preposterous...
...and then came twitter... like a status update on any social networking site except... well... just that. Well if this doesn't epitomise self importance I don't know what does! At least with a blog there might be a little depth or substance instead of purely pumping out one-liners like a barrage of bad jokes you might find on a beer mat - though at least these are occasionally amusing!

Now I am aware that I am myself blogging here in an admittedly teeny little bit opinionated manner (but this is a rant after all!) and in all likeliness exhibiting each and every one of the attributes I have marked up as despising but it would appear that I have in fact become ensnared by the beast! When made to write my own blog I felt compelled to read a few drifting around on the growing ocean of the 'cyber-ego'.
Perhaps I was a little one-sighted when starting my raving. As it turns out there are blogs out there which go beyond the self indulgent drawl of those I have described and have a number of uses... even twitter which I am ashamed to say may not actually be anywhere near as atrocious as I first thought! While I type away at my desk here fully aware of the self inflicted irony and the paradox that this post will present some viewers... I can't actually help but enjoy projecting this torrent of thoughts onto the screen and soon to spread onto the internet!

So what was the point of this written bombardment against blogs if by the end I am actually thinking that I may be converted to the world of blogging? In complete honesty... very little. As I stated before cascading my thoughts here, my first entry here is an experiment with free writing as well maybe demonstrating my ignorance towards the 'blog-verse'. Can't knock it till you try it as it turns out!

What do I aim to do with this blog from here on? So far I'm not sure. I'm sure I could find some other subject to complain about (in fact there are lots already springing to mind!) but I don't want this to end up being a one-trick-pony... so where to? Probably to try to provoke some sort of discussion on a number of subjects... the more controversial or paradoxical the better! Aside from that my mind has gone a little blank so it may end up being a surprise!

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. i didn't realise you knew so many big words david!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's excellent! I didn't know you were a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Davey B, i love how rapidly your all-encompassing distain and dislike for blogging was quickly over-ridden by constant and compulsive profile checking to see if anyone else had commented or how many profile views you have. Looks like you've been converted after all! x

    ReplyDelete