Saturday 31 October 2009

Lucidism... the simplist solution is often right!

Right then, after the pretty long entry the last couple of times I am going to endeavour to keep this one shorter!

Religion... where to begin?!

I'm not going to talk about the benefits and damages that religion has created throughout history... because that would take a very, very, very... long time. Nor am I going to try to convince whoever stumbles across this to turn away or towards religion. Of course there are uses for religion but already I feel that I'm about to go completely off on a tangent so will stop this part right here!

I got really thinking about this when I was approached by a number of individuals whilst travelling who all tried to convert me to Christianity. It was whenever we got into a meaty conversation about religions and deities that I really realised quite how close minded it all is. This I've already thought in regards to my generally more liberal outlook but here I worked out what was really getting to me... It's not that I prefer some logic and to see the evidence myself (yes I have been told that everything around us is the evidence but that is a little broad for my tastes!), but that someone of deep religious faith is often blinded by it... not daring to look at alternatives. I don't dislike people because they are religious... what I do have a problem with is close-mindedness of what is taught... that they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Now from what I've been told by those who have tried in vain to convert me is that the miracles created in the past are proof that their deity exists... though when I asked them what someone else of another religion would think they disregarded whatever they may say as wrong due to the simple fact that the 'converters' in question are right. Not only that but they had very basic knowledge of anything other than what they were spoon fed. With supposedly 4200 different religions in existence (though a number of them are variants of one another (such as the different forms of Christianity)... if each of them is 100% right and everyone else is wrong... it does get a little confusing!

This brings me onto my next point... if each religious group believes that it is right and others are wrong (which is near enough the case as it is) then chances are that none of them are right. If they all acknowledge that a single event in time as a miracle but each state that it is actualised by their own god or gods, and therefore no other supernatural forces may have done so then is it not more likely that (if you were to believe in a creator) that no one is right and each religion is just praying to the same deity in a manner in which was constructed by their history, society and culture?
This would therefore mean that there is absolutely no meaning to religious groups fighting (I am fully aware that this is only a small minority before you hunt me down!) each other if they are in actuality fighting in the name of the same god/gods/goddess/goddesses. It's just really counter productive.

I appear to be a target for attempted conversions... on a night shift I was also told that unless I believed  whatever these people did I was doomed for hell. Like I said, if people want to believe whatever they want I've got no problem (not that I have a say either!), but the way I see it... as many religions mark their deity as omniscient and merciful, then that god would understand where I'm coming from when I say this, or the opinions of other people.

Therefore I lay out the foundation of Lucidism... don't be obnoxious to other people, don't litter and you'll be alright, whoever - if anyone - is right! (simplistic and not overly profound - but easy enough to follow)


Told you it would be shorter!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty much echos my exact feelings in terms of religion. Although I was baptized, I follow no religion. This doesn't mean I don't believe in something or am not spiritual, but rather (as you said) there are so many conflicting beliefs and not all of them can be right! I follow many 'commandments' and guidelines from a number of different religions, as the morals are universals relevant, but I dislike hugely the rigidity and closed-mindedness of each religious group. If I had to fundamentally categorize myself into a particular religion it would be Christianity, but whilst I believe that Jesus existed, I see him as some sort of David Blaine character. Does this make me a Jew, if I don't believe that he was the son of God? I think not.

    ps Dave I hate you. I'd already started writing a blog on religion. Luckily it's to do with Scientology, so it is slightly different. But still. RAAAH x

    ReplyDelete